Thursday, January 12, 2012

Unit 9, Achieving Integral Health

I:          It is very important for the professional of health and wellness to be actively practicing or seasoned in regards to achieving Integral Health.  I truly believe, if I, the professional person is weak psychologically, spiritually, or physically and not working on each weak area to strengthen each aspect, then I would not be a successful leader in bringing others on the journey for integral health and human flourishing.  As we have learned this term our lives are very dynamic and every changing in each area, if we are practicing what we preach, then educating our clients will be easier and far more believable.  The areas I need to work on are of course all three.  Because life is ever changing I know I will always need to work on these areas in one respect or another.

II:         Assessing the areas of spiritually, physically, and psychologically has changed somewhat compared to my earlier assessment at the beginning of this term.  It makes sense to me that it has altered because of the mere fact my life is going through changes and decisions that will even cause more of a disruption in the next 6 months.  I have given my physical assessment the score of 6/10, I scored myself low because my goal was to exercise 5x’s each week and I’m still at 3x’s each week.  Working too many hours has been this conflict.  I scored spiritually 9/10 scoring higher because I’m relying on my faith and prayer every day to guide me regarding our upcoming move.  I have also increased my meditation practice to promote peace and inner calmness.  I scored psychologically 7/10 because of the worries and stress that busy my mind regarding moving and changing jobs in the next 6 months.

III:   I am choosing goals for these three areas and making them simple and easy to achieve.

Physically:   3-5xs each week, participating with strengthening and aerobic exercise.  Utilizing the weekend days, and eliminating two week days should promote less stress during the busy work week.

Psychological:   Stay focused on loving kindness and my intentions with every person I come in contact with will promote a positive mind set with positive results.  Present 5 intentional remarks each day that makes a positive impact or reaction from 5 different individuals I come in contact with. 

Spiritual:  My goal is to meditate every day, whether 15 minutes or 30 minutes.  I will purchase a couple cd’s to have a variety of meditations to choose from. 

IV:  My strategy for fitness and spirituality is to stay focused and keep track on my daily calendar.  Being accountable to my husband is another good strategy.  My biggest strategy regarding physical fitness with my long days is to stay positive whether I fit it 3 days or 5 days each week.  I’ve chosen Kenpo and Centergenics  for aerobics and strengthening with arms/back and legs/abs using dumbbells.  Spiritually staying focused with determination at the end of my days 5 to 7x’s each week whether it is 15 minutes to 30 minutes with the goal being 30 minutes.  Meditation with loving kindness and visualization style exercises, alternating between the two.  Psychologically my strategy is to continue with increased intention to focus on more than 5 people each day randomly and practice my loving –kindness through positive words or actions.  I have practiced loving – kindness most of my adult life, this will allow me to increase my intention until it no longer requires a thought. 

V:  Assessing my progress over the next 6 months should be quite obvious to myself on whether I am succeeding with my goals.  I have strategically created simple and easy goals to follow with immediate results, especially since I will be using the calendar to keep track.  Having my husband involved with my goals will be beneficial keeping me on track and accountable.  I already know what the end feel of each category is like and this calm abiding peace will be the  ultimate measurement of  my success. 


1 comment:

  1. Kelsey,

    You have some great goals and thoughtful ways of staying on track. I had also thought about having an accountability partner to help me stay focused. There is always power in numbers! I hope your move goes well and the new job. Sometimes it is hard to stay psychologically fit when there is so much going on and it feels overwhleming. If you can stay focused with the help of the exercises and utilize the tools you have, I believe you can continue on your path to integral health. I know for me, physical activity is a huge stress alleviator. Not only for your physical aspect but psychologically you feel a sense of accomplishment and empowerment. Good luck with your practices and all your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete